Friday 11 March 2016

Review on Ascension #3 The Imparting



After spending some time outside of the underground city of Impervious, Fran must once again enter the city to spread the news that the outside world is actually safe. Many residents still live inside the walls, where a sickness known as 'The Beast' resides. With the help of her new friends, Fran must save the people inside the city, including her best friend and her brother. But the Impervious government won't allow this to happen easily, and Fran must fight to save the ones she loves.

 After reading the first two books in this series, I was excited to find out how it was all going to end! The second book in the series ended on a huge cliff hanger, so I was eager to see how everything would play out. 

As her best friend Pete did not make it out of the city, Fran is desperate to go back in to find him. However Fran spends the majority of the book outside, helping to collect herbs to cure the injured and finding an antidote that will take the people inside the city off the grid so that they can no longer be tracked. One of the main things I have loved about this series is the intricate underground world that Letto has created, and seeing the characters explore this. In comparison I found the outside world to be quite dull, and the only aspect of it that I enjoyed was seeing the aftermath of what had happened to the cities. I did however feel as if this could have been expanded on, as we only see an extremely small portion of the wreckage.

I felt that nothing really exciting happened to Fran in the first 70% of the book, which was disappointing as the first two books were unique and action packed. I found myself becoming bored of Fran's storyline, and I was much more interested in what was happening to Pete. I loved the relationships between Fran, Pete and Retter in the second book, and felt that this was a strong aspect to the books, so it was disappointing that there wasn't much interaction between these characters at all. The relationship between Pete and Fran was something that I loved in the first two books, and I felt that them barely interacting throughout the book was a huge let down.

The thing that redeemed this book a little for me was Pete's storyline, as I loved seeing him having to sneak round the city to try to convince people that the open air was safe. Again however I felt that relationships with other characters were not focused on, and instead Pete interacted with a number of minor characters who disappeared fairly quickly. I found myself losing track of who everyone was, and felt that there was a definite need for someone who was more permanent in Pete's journey. I felt that Freddie could have been this character, as I found it interesting that he used to bully Pete but changed his ways and decided to help him. I would have loved it if Freddie had become more than just a minor character, as he had potential to become something more and have his own storyline rather than just being someone to help the protagonist.

I did enjoy the last 20% of the book, but I felt that it lacked the action packed scenes that the other two books had. I felt that their problems were solved a little too easily, and there was really only one minor setback that was resolved fairly quickly. Although I did love that romance wasn't a big factor of this book, I would have liked to have had a more definite answer to if Fran and Pete started dating.

Sadly this book was not up to my expectations, as the first two books were brilliant and I was hoping for a dramatic conclusion to the series. I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did and I feel disappointed that it did not live up to the expectations I had for it, as I had nothing but positive comments for the first two books. Although I did enjoy certain parts of the book, I personally feel as if this book has let down the series as a whole.


The Imparting is now available to purchase!








 Check out my reviews of the first two books in the series!



No comments:

Post a Comment